Tuesday 4 August 2009

A Eulogy to Rob Da Bank

Not many men with pony-tails have my respect and undying admiration, but this man is one of them. (For the techno-spazzes amongst you, when the word is purple it means I want you to click on it.)



(This man does not have my respect)


Not only does he look like a chump, but he also has a really stupid name. I mean come on, Rob Da Bank? I think if you gave 1000 8 year old boys free rein on a DJ name, at least half would pick that. Although maybe that's what he was going for. Probably, given that he is actually a supreme being.

But this daftly-named, hippy-haired man is actually a total genius. His now defunct show 'The Blue Room' on Radio 1 pioneered the kind of gloopy, blippy and just plain weird music that only a fool could ignore. Or someone who wasn't awake from 2am to 4am on a Sunday night. Either or...

If you still need a reason to believe me then here it comes: he invented Bestival. Unfortunately he cannot control the weather, I'm sure lots of you feel my pain on this one.

Thankfully, the Beeb have kept my modern musical hero on the Radio. He does 2 shows every week, one solo effort playing the weird and wonderful, and the other (Rob Da Bank and friends) playing a guest's A-Z selection.

Here are the links for Sunday's shows.

Rob Da Bank Show

Rob Da Bank and Friends

I actually haven't picked the most accessible week of shows for the uninitiated. The RdB&F show is with Simian Mobile Disco, and they play some really weird stuff. But you know what, it's all music, and at least you will be able to say, "Hey yeh, I know who Black Meteoric Cloud are and I think they are shit!" instead of pretending to be cool and lying about knowing them when you are talking to that boy with a stupid fringe and purple jeans smoking Gitanes.
















(They really are shit)

No comments:

Post a Comment