Sunday 20 March 2011

Mack's Blips - March 2011

Ahoy there!

I'm not going to beat around the bush here- this is a cracking Blip. So, without further ado, I bring you Mack's Blips:



1. PAUL MCCARTNEY - TEMPORARY SECRETARY
And so it starts. With a song which would forever be consigned to the list of musical oddities were it not so amazing (I forgive you if it takes a couple of listens).
A fun game I like to play is putting this on in the car and making whoever's with me try and guess who it is. No-one's EVER guessed right.


2. FICTION - BIG THINGS
This infectious little number makes me want to dance like an idiot too.


3. ANNA CALVI - SUZANNE & I
I don't think anyone's made music which is truly as epic as Anna Calvi's for quite a while. Please please listen to her album, it's scarily grown-up and properly atmospheric music. Believe all that hype!


4. MADVILLAIN - ACCORDION
A little bit of effortlessly deft hip-hop from Madvillain, aka MF Doom and Madlib. My friend Luke once told me he thought Doom's voice sounded 'all dry and sandy like a skeleton', and ever since I've never been able to visualise him any other way.


5. FLYING LOTUS - TEA LEAF DANCERS
OK. Don't listen to this on little laptop speakers. Use big old headphones if you have to. Turn it up and up until it makes you feel all seasick and wonderful.


6. THE KINKS - I'M NOT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE
The further I move into "responsible" adulthood the more time I seem to spend, alone, rocking gently on the corner of my bed with my eyes closed singing along to this at the top of my voice and holding on desperately to the belief that it's true.


7. FRANZ FERDINAND - LUCID DREAMS
Yes! Every second of this record is heaven. I love how it begins a slightly off-kilter Franz anthem then gradually evolves into a glorious synth-knob-measuring contest.


8. WARPAINT - ASHES TO ASHES
I am happy that this David Bowie cover happened. I hope you're happy too. How sick is Warpaint's drummer, by the way?


9. BAUHAUS - BELA LUGOSI'S DEAD
The "first ever Gothic Rock song"? Yes please.


10. JANELLE MONAE - TIGHTROPE
The first time I heard this, I couldn't believe how funky it is. I literally could not believe. I had to attend a funk Alpha course and everything to set my belief back on the right track.


11. PETE AND THE PIRATES - COME TO THE BAR
Remember Mr Understanding? It was so catchy that I didn't think Pete and the Pirates had another one like that in them. But lo, this arrived and has managed to worm its way into my ear and, just like a sonic Swampy, is refusing to budge until they stop building new runways at Heathrow. Or something.


12. WOLF GANG - BACK TO BACK
Wolf Gang are one of my favourite new bands, and this is one of my
favourite Wolf Gang songs. You do the math, as they say. Annoyingly.


13. RATATAT - SHILLER
There are other, more upbeat tracks I nearly chose, but this here is
the first I heard of the amazing Ratatat, after buying 'LP3' on vinyl
purely on the basis that I thought the cover art was amazing. Well, it
worked - I knew I'd done good as soon as that backwards-mellotron got
all drenched by autoharps.


14. LORN - CHERRY MOON
I've saved a real absolute gem till last.
This sounds like fizzy midnight. Like melted starlight. Like rain on
Knight Rider's windscreen. In the future. Like the hundred other
clumsy and grossly inadequate similies I could reel off and bore you
to tears with. I'd rather just shut up and let you listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment