Sunday 19 June 2011

Damola's Blips - June 2011

Well, good evening all and welcome to another edition of Chip's Blips. This has been a long time coming, but finally Mr Timeyin has stepped up to the plate. For that I am grateful, and I'm sure you will be too once you finish listening to this gem of a playlist. Some real discoveries on there for me. That's what this site is all about - spreading the love!

I bring you Damola's Blips:




1. Maverick Sabre - I Used To Have It All

This guy is reminiscent of an early Finlay Quaye; whatever happened to that guy? His the sound of voice betrays the exterior of the man, but one must never judge a book by it's cover.


2. Michael Kiwanuka - Tell Me A Tale

If I didn't know better, this voice, production and quality of music could only come from the studios of Motown decades before many of us reading this were alive. Surprisingly this comes from the here and now and retains a classic quality.


3. Ashin' Kusher-Kid Cudi

I had very little time for Kid Cudi and his music, his attitude sucked and his swagger was just a bit off key. Then I happened to listen to his latest album Man on the Moon II on a day where I was pretty pissed off with everyone and everything. That's when I suddenly understand what this kid was doing, why his swag was so unruly and why Kanye West rates him so highly. Best alt-hip-hop out there musically right now.


4. CREEP - You (feat Nina Sky)

Nina Sky were as bubble gum Hip-Pop as we were ever going to get, then they grew up.


5. The Budos Band - Adenji

When I get married I want them to play at my wedding. Their brass cuts through, hits hard and makes you want to do something, anything. If this music put down roots it would grow in to one hell of an oak tree.


6. AU79 - Tyler

His album was highly anticipated, and quite frankly over rated in my opinion. I feel the stand out track is an instrumental that is brilliant and definitely worth skipping a few songs to get to.


7. Jay electronica - San Pellegrino with lemon

Jay Electronica is my favourite rapper of the last 10 years and the man has not released an album. His eloquence and gravitas is unrivaled in the rap game. His music makes sense, it's has impact and relevant.


8. Pushing Hands - He's Still Here

These guys are new and forging a nice sound that leaves you pretty damn satisfied at the end. I like what they do and how they do it.


9. Gonzales - Overnight

Please listen to this and the rest of the Solo Piano album, it is littered with the best post modern classical/polystylistic piano music I have heard. The entertainment in the delivery and the sheer quality of the composition is outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment