Tuesday 4 January 2011

January 2011 - Rafflestop's Blips

Happy New Year to all y'all, hope you had a great time wherever you were, and that you filled your mouth with champagne and your ears with some great music. As promised in December, 2011 will be bringing you something a little bit different. From now on, you will be on the receiving end of multiple monthly playlists from multiple writers.

First up, and without further ado, it's Rafflestop:



http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=385E411185BFA7CB

Commence BLIP:
--------------------------------------


1. Pivot – O Soundtrack My Heart

I'm coming in hard and strong, kicking off with an ever so slightly prog-rock (albeit modern) number. However don't let that put you off, persevere! ... I'd recommend hearing this out, hearing the playlist out then hearing the album out. It's good.

2. Lucky Dragons - Givers

A very casual second number, disjointed and jumpy; the sounds seem to roll out the speakers like they just don't care (put your hands in the air) (not literally, it just ain’t one of those tracks).

3. Django Django – WOR

They're from Dalston! So if all else fails you can cash in your cool points and wax lyrical about em! Right? Maybe. A Bedouin tent/siren-based start (...) gives way to a good honest guitar riff, drum sequence and voice. Super! (Ignoring the video is recommended)

4. Forest Fire – Fortune Teller

"Tonight I'm gunna melt some faces with Gatling gun social skills..."

5. Future Islands - Wave Like Home

A wall of sound + good composition = a beautiful track that goes incredible places. I can imagine the singer may put you off initially but it fits well, seriously! Probably (definitely) should be played as loud as possible.

6. Former Ghosts - Hold On

I've always thought the singer sounds a bit like Faris Badwan from the Horrors. I don't think this is him though. If it is I've made myself a fool and will suffer the undoubtedly deserved embarrassment.

7. The Zombies – Time of the Season

Surely familiar with everyone however it's in because I put it in (and perhaps some people have forgotten it) so, yea, tuck in.

8. Tu Fawning – I Know You Now

An ethereal number for ya now, commencing the wind down of the playlist in inimitable fashion (if, indeed it wound up in the first place).

9. Freur – Doot Doot

Sure, I live in New York in the 80’s, sure, I work in advertising and I’ve had a long day and sure, I’m in my 40th floor apartment (relaxin’). Well put this on then!

10. Kaito – We are Living Here (Beatless Version)

Apparently Kaito means: ‘the one that is able to explain the universe’; well I’m not here to argue this point however this does tread the fine line between greatness and cheese with a self-assurance that I guess only someone who can answer the unanswerable can only do.

11. Walls – Hang Four

Bass wrapped up in swathes of crisp, fresh electronic synth stuff with a bit of drone chucked in for good measure (what?!) Well that description sounds ridiculous but I’m sticking with it. Nice track.

12. Malcolm Middleton – Solemn Thirsty

Some of you critters may know this from James Holden’s ‘At the Controls’ mix, suffice to say it’s made my Top 25 Most Played and is, I think, amazing. So there. It’s been a pleasure. Over and OUT.

End BLIP
--------------------------------------


Remember to get following on Twitter (@chipsblipsblog) for updates, snippets and songs aplenty.

Hopefully this is the first of 4 January playlists. Aren't you lucky!


No comments:

Post a Comment