Thursday 15 September 2011

Autumn Special - The End Of The Road

Chip's Blips went on holiday this summer. Maybe it was a lack of summer sun, maybe it was a lack of inspiration, but the music just wasn't flowing. I'm not going to lie, I was scared. Yes reader, scared. Scared that the music had left me, and I'd never get it back. Then I went to a festival, full of bands that I'd never heard of before (and some I had). It gave me ammunition to fill my ears with joy and wonderment once more.

You could probably call it the aural equivalent of a vision quest. A listen quest if you will (not the right part of speech but hey it sounds good).

It was a journey into folk, mostly. And my oh my, once you break through that hemp-covered, slightly crusty exterior, you discover that all the stigma attached to the genre (the sniggers from people when I told them I was going to a folk festival) is more often than not completely unfounded. As you will see from this playlist, there are some utter gems lying in the mossy musical undergrowth. I've just dusted them down for you to gaze at. If you don't believe me, just listen to the first track on the playlist. Then try and tell me that isn't heart-meltingly good.

Anyways, I am back and that's all you care about! You don't want to hear any more from me, you just want the music. So without further ado, 9 folky belters:



I've also made a Spotify playlist of similar tracks, but with slightly better quality (and with a song from Skinny Lister in there - you must click only for this.)



1. Sam Amidon - Saro

I think I could listen to this forever. His voice has the same mesmerising timbre as Bon Iver. One of those sounds that makes you both sad and happy in equal measure. Bee-yootiful.

2. Fresh & Onlys - Waterfall

Another brand-new band for me here. I'm a sucker for this kind of airy sound; splashy drums, ghostly whooping, simple catchy riff. It's all there!

3. This Is The Kit - Two Wooden Spoons

Stunning, stunning song this. The quality on the Spotify version is the real deal, so if you like the YouTube one then it's fairly safe to say that the other one is going to blow your socks off. Have a listen to "Our Socks Forever More" if you like this.

4. Beirut - Vagabond

Many of you will I'm sure be familiar with Beirut already. So was I, but I had never seen them live before and hadn't had the chance to listen to their new album beforehand. This was the standout track live. Amazing brass section. Sure, it's a bit odd, but who isn't?

5. Joan As A Policewoman - The Magic

Right, now if this doesn't make it onto an iTunes (or other suitably cool brand) advert soon then i'll eat the proverbial hat. Poppy goodness. Similar to Lissie a year or two ago. Like.

6. Treefight For Sunlight - Facing The Sun

Another happy, sparkly indie number. One for the headphones when you're walking through the park on a cold, sunny day.

7. Twin Shadow - At My Heels

Without a doubt the highlight of my festival. I've been a massive fan since the first track I heard. I fell in love with the album, and the live set was equally good. This is my favourite song off the album, and tellingly was the one song that stuck in my head when the festival finished. If you haven't bought this album yet, I implore you to do so. [Lies prostrate on floor trying to look as imploring as possible]

8. The Walkmen - The Rat

Slightly out of place band at a folk festival, but obviously wasn't complaining given that I got to hear the famous Rat live.

9. Wild Nothing - Summer Holiday

Another set of dreamy American songstrels (no, I don't mean attractive, I mean.. oh you know what I mean) that I was really keen to see. Well, they were slightly disappointing, but I think that probably had something to do with the fact that it was raining outside. I get the feeling that if you saw these guys sitting on a patch of grass in the blazing sunshine you'd just want to float away on a tiny joyful gondola, whistling merrily.

Sounds good to me.

That's all folks (see what I did there). I'll try not to be so long next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment