Friday 27 July 2012

Chip's Blips - JULY 2012

[Sheepishly shuffles in from side-stage]


I'm back. Sorry it's been so long, but I'm back.

Now let's get on with it shall we?







Pesky VEVO on YouTube means that most of these videos now annoying have ads before them. So you might have to be a bit more attentive with your clickthroughs. 


The other option is to listen to it on Spotify:





There you go. Now you have to listen to it.


1. Rhye - Open 

Sexy, sexy song. Treacle vocals, finger clicks and a swoony sax. What more could you want? (Just don't have the music video open at work)

2. Zulu Winter - Silver Tongue

New indie kids making obscenely catchy tunes. I guarantee you'll be trying to sing "playing obvious" by the 2nd chorus. Get the whole album, it's a belter.

3. Tomas Barfod - November Skies

Softly-spoken techno at its finest here. Reminiscent of a certain Trentemoller in his heyday. Slightly wintry for this time of year, but that's pretty much the only fault I can find here. Incredible vocal, just the right amount of click vs bass, cleaning out at exactly the right times. Brilliance. Again - get the album.

4. Chromatics - I'm On Fire 

I felt a little ill when I saw the upload date on this video. I could've had this song in my life in 2010! Just cruel. I don't normally go for cover songs, but very very occasionally they manage to capture something really special in a different way. Bruce Springsteen would be proud.

5. Ghostpoet - Survive It

This is slightly on the old side now but to be honest I don't care. This is just beautiful music, and still hasn't got old after its 100th listen. The clash between Ghostpoet's down-and-out verses and the swirling, ethereal chorus - "No no no no no no no, ain't got a licence to kill like Double O, I just wanna live life and survive it" - is a wonder.

6. Polica - Lay Your Cards Out

One of my favourite new bands at the moment with their headline track off their new album "Give You The Ghost". Like a darker, dubbier version of the XX. Dig in.

7. Charli XCX - Nuclear Seasons

Catchy little bit of pop here from what looks like Marina & The Diamonds' little sister.

8. Zulu Winter - Never Leave

I'm putting another Zulu track in mainly because it's my playlist and I can do whatever I want. Their album is chock-full of corkers like this.

9. Paradis - La Ballade De Jim

Heard this a while ago on one of the INCREDIBLE podcasts that are coming out of Beats In Space. If you like this kind of music, get involved. Their entire back catalogue is on there too. My favourite one is the Slow Hands guest mix, but let me know if you find a better one. But back to the track, isn't it lovely?

10. Jessie Ware - Running (Disclosure Remix)

If there's a track that makes you want to dance more than this one, I'm yet to find it. The drops are just perfect - LOVE the combination of vocal distortion in the build up with the clean break.

11. Erik Satie - Gymnopedie No.1

A quiet one to finish as usual. One of those you always hear but never know what it actually is. Well now you do. Sad and incredibly beautiful.



Enjoy your weekend Blippers!

2 comments:

  1. oh how i have missed this.
    my favourite is Paradis - la ballade de jim.
    and Rhye - open.
    and.. all the others!! :)

    keep em coming chipo!

    x

    ReplyDelete